Last updated: August, 2021
Please read this Policy carefully before using our website. This Policy applies only to the information we collect through our website and does not apply to information we may collect from you by other means. By providing information to us through our website, you consent to the terms of this Policy and our collection, use, and disclosure of information as described below. If you do not consent to the practices described in this Policy, you may choose not to use the website or provide us with requested information. Your use of our website is also subject to our Terms and Conditions, which are available here.
Personal Information We May Collect About You
For the purposes of this Policy, “personal information” is any information relating to an identifiable individual (except as may be exempt under applicable privacy laws). NCC is a business-to-business company and, as such, the personal information we collect from website users is typically limited to the types of information reflected on a business card—name, address, email address, phone number, employer, and position. Specifically, the types of personal information we may collect can be grouped as follows:
- Contact information – name, email address, address, telephone number, and (in certain circumstances) company name.
- Employment information – name of your employer and position/title at your employer.
- Marketing information – details regarding informational and promotional materials you have requested or received from us, your receipt of promotional communications from us, and information on your marketing or communication preferences.
- Inquiry and communications information – copies of communications and inquiries you have submitted to us, including through email, calls, and features available on our website.
- Website usage information – details regarding how and when you use our website, including the device used to connect to our website, your IP address, the frequency and duration of your visits, and information about your interaction with our website.
- Job applicant information – If you apply for a job using our website, contact information, information regarding your qualifications and background, educational information, and any other information you provide as part of your application.
We collect this information from you when you voluntarily fill out forms on our website, subscribe to receive promotional communications from us, download information from our website, communicate with us (including by email, phone, and otherwise), apply for a job, communicate with us through our website, or otherwise provide information to us through our website.
For individuals in Canada, please note that we will obtain your consent prior to collecting, using, or disclosing personal information for any purpose, except where otherwise permitted or required by law. Under Canadian law, consent may be provided orally or in writing or may be implied, such as where you continue to provide personal information to us in the context of our ongoing relationship.
Other Information We Collect From You
Like most websites, we use various technologies to automatically collect information about you, including the following:
- IP Address or Device Identifier. When you visit our website, we collect your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, which identifies the computer or service provider that you use to access our website or, if you connect through a mobile device, your mobile device identifier. We may use these identifiers to collect information about the length of time spent on our website or the specific areas visited.
- Web beacons and other technologies. Our website may use other tracking tools, including web beacons, which are small electronic images embedded in web content and email messages that are not ordinarily visible to users. Web beacons allow us to track pages and content accessed and viewed by users, as well as to monitor email readership. We may also use pixels to track visitors. You can opt out of pixels by adjusting your browser’s cookie settings or adjusting cookie consent options on our website to not accept marketing cookies.
- Analytics. Our website may also use third-party analytics vendors such as Google Analytics. Please click here for more information about how data is collected and processed in connection with the Google Analytics service: https://policies.google.com/privacy/partners. We use analytics data for a variety of purposes, including to analyze use of our website and improve its design and content.
The information collected through these technologies may be combined with personal information or aggregated with other information on website visits. We may share information about your use of our website with our advertising and analytics partners, who may combine it with other information that you previously provided to them.
How We Use Your Information
We use the personal information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you and provide you with information you have requested;
- To register you to receive promotional and informational communications from us, provide you with such communications, track your marketing preferences, and for our internal marketing purposes;
- To respond to inquiries from you regarding our business or services;
- To optimize your experience on our website and ensure that our content is presented to you in the most effective manner;
- To notify you about changes to our website, including material changes to this Policy; and
- To perform other functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise consent to.
For more information about your options relating to your personal information and your communication preferences, see “Your Choices Regarding Your Information” below.
Disclosure Of Your Information
When the information we collect about you is aggregated, anonymized, or otherwise does not identify you, we may use that information for any purpose or share it with third parties, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
In addition, we may share your information with the following entities:
- Service providers and third-party vendors that we use to support our business, including companies that perform work necessary for us to provide services to you, or that assist us in improving our business operations and services.
- Our marketing vendors that may assist us with lead generation and marketing to potential clients.
- Our parent company, CaptionMax, and any of its other subsidiaries as may be necessary for their business purposes.
- Website analytics vendors in order to understand our website traffic and usage patterns, optimize our website, and identify potential new clients.
- For job applicants, third-party vendors necessary for us to evaluate your application, verify your credentials and representations, and assess your suitability for employment with us.
- Buyers or other successors prior to or in the event of a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as a part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, where the information is among the assets being transferred.
- Other parties for any purpose we disclose at the time you provide the information.
We reserve the right to disclose your information as necessary to comply with a subpoena or investigative demand, court order, request for cooperation from law enforcement or other governmental agency, to exercise our legal rights, to defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law.
Your Choices About Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding your personal information. When using our website, you may choose whether you want to receive promotional information from us. To the extent we ever send you promotional emails, you can stop receiving those emails by clicking the “unsubscribe link” in the email. We endeavor to promptly process any unsubscribe requests. You can also choose not to provide us with information requested through our website, which may result in you being unable to use certain features of our website or receive certain information about our business and services.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, you may also review, correct, update, or otherwise modify any personal information you have previously submitted to us. To do so, please submit a request either via email, phone, or writing using the contact information at the end of this Policy. Note: we may need to request certain information from you to verify your identity and will only use such information for that purpose. We will make available to you any specific personal information that we have collected, used, or disclosed, upon your request, to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
Links To Third-Party Websites
Our website may contain links to third-party websites. These websites have separate privacy policies that you should review. While we make efforts to choose the links on our website carefully, we cannot take responsibility for the content of linked websites or those companies’ data-handling practices.
Storage and Retention of Personal Information
We will use, disclose or retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law. We process and store your personal information in our data centers and offices in the United States and Canada. As indicated above, we may also transfer personal information to our service providers and vendors, who are located in the United States and Canada as well.
Protection Of Your Information
We understand the importance of safeguarding your information and take appropriate administrative, technical, and physical measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft, and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. Please be aware, however, that no security measures or data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warranty the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
Non-U.S. and Non-Canadian Visitors
NCC is located in Canada. Our website is intended for use by individuals in Canada and the United States. We do not seek personal information about individuals outside of Canada and the United States. Accordingly, our collection of personal information and other data through our website and subsequent use and disclosure of that data is subject only to the laws of Canada and the United States, as applicable.
Our website is a general audience site and is not directed at, or intended for use by, children under the age of 13 years. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under age 13.
Please note that NCC does not honor “Do Not Track” signals and such signals will not impact the operation of our website.
Please note that we may change this Policy from time to time. We will post changes here and update the “Last Updated” date at the top of this document. Continued use of this website after any changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes. We encourage you to check the Policy periodically for updates.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Policy or our information-handling practices, or wish to exercise one of the rights regarding your personal information outlined above, please contact us at:
National Captioning Canada
c/o Melina Nathanail
1909-10th Avenue SW
Calgary Alberta T3C 0K3